We have reached the time of the year when everyone gets into the Spirit of Giving. We should be in that spirit all year long because people always need help! If you are like me, you love to give to others and help others, but don’t always have money to help. So, how can you help others with limited finances? Give of YOURSELF! Give of YOUR TIME!! Give of YOUR TALENTS!!!
There are so many organizations looking for donations other than money. Over the past year, I have come across a few organizations that I’d like to support. In thinking about this post, I did some research and found a ton more amazing ones! Now, I’m not saying you need to support every one. Find one cause that means something to you and help support them! Then if you feel like you can help more, jump in and do it!
Here is a list of organizations I have collected that can use your talent of crafting (mostly crochet or knit) to help others. This list includes ways to help babies, kids, cancer patients, military families, and even pets. But these are just a few organizations. There are many, many, many more out there that need help!
- Message of Hope Foundation– This organization helps to bring hope to children with special needs, and chronic and life threatening illnesses. You and your children can help by printing and coloring bookmarks to send, making Happy Hope Cards, Making Rainbow Loom Bracelets, or donating approved items for their Happy Hope Bags. Click the “Get Involved” tab on their website to learn more.
- Little Hats, Big Hearts– The American Heart Association is trying to raise awareness for Heart Disease with this project. During the month of February, they give red hats to babies born in participating hospitals. To help, you can crochet or knit red hats for preemie and newborn babies and send them. Please check out the yarn specifics before making them.
- The Knitting Connection– This organization collects materials such as crochet hooks, knitting needles, and yarn for volunteers to create items for children aged newborn to 18 years old. You can also crochet or knit items and send them. Check out their FAQs for more info.
- Crochet for Cancer– This organization accepts Chemo Caps, prayer shawls, scarves, blankets, and any type of gift item for those fighting cancer. Please check out the guidelines for your donated items first. They also have optional Scripture cards that you can attach to your gifts.
- Heartmade Blessings– This organization provides handmade items to those going through a loss, tragedy, or hard times. You can donate crochet squares to be included in their Operation Purple Heart Comfort Afghans that are given to loved ones of Fallen Heroes in the military. You can also donate crochet squares for their Bearghans given to those in troubled times. They are always in need of donated squares and volunteers to help assemble the afghans. See their guidelines on their website for more info.
- Snuggles Project– Even animals need comfort. This organization helps provide snuggles to animals in shelters. These snuggles help keep the animals calm and feel more at home. Their website includes patterns for crochet, knit, and sewn snuggles as well as toys. Check out their website for more information.
So, are you going to give of yourself this season? How about as we move into the new year? With some of your time and talents, you can bring joy to those in need!! I’d love to hear what organization(s) you decide to support. And if you come across some other amazing organizations you love, feel free to share them here!